Prolonged sitting is now increasingly regarded as the “silent killer” – also referred to as “Sitting Disease”. According to a Study published in 2010 by the American Cancer Society Study in the American Journal of Epidemiology they found that:
- Women who sat over 6 hours per day were 37% more likely to die sooner when compared to women who sat for 3 hours per day.
- Men who sat over 6 hours per day were 18% more likely to die sooner than their standing counterparts.
- Women were 94% and Men 48% more likely to die sooner compared with those who reported sitting the least and being most active.
This study linked prolonged sitting to cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity and a shorter lifespan. A truly frightening prospect – if not addressed by both Employers and Employees!
In most studies, the common message is that physical activity does not counteract the Negative effects of prolonged sitting.
The simplest non-exercise activity intervention you can do for yourself is to stand up. Getting out of your chair is like a wake-up call for your body! Engaging in a combination of postures has many benefits:
- Strengthens leg, ankle and foot muscles
- Improves balance
- Mitigates formation of blood clots deep in the legs
- Squeezes valves in the leg veins, pushing blood upward toward the heart
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
- Improves alertness
- Encourages movement
- Discourages "mindless" snacking
- Allows deep breathing
- Increases good HDL cholesterol levels
- Decreases bad LDL cholesterol levels
- Promotes weight loss
- Is better for the back
- Is a natural posture for humans
- Is less fatiguing
CA Office Furniture & Design recently launched the Ascend Electric Sit-Stand Ergonomic Height Adjustable Desk Series, designed to promote healthy and ergonomic work environments that provide health-conscious workers with an opportunity to Sit or Stand for flexibility throughout the work day. The Electric Series offers dual-motor Electric Bases with synchronized design for smooth, long-lasting operation regardless of weight distribution. This option also includes adjustable leveling glides.
By providing Improved Space Planning and Ergonomic Office Layout & Designs (including Height Adjustable Desk Options) in Irvine, Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego, CA Office Furniture & Design helps to improve the working conditions for employees. An effective ergonomics program will lower company’s OSHA lost time and restricted day injury rates.
CA Office Furniture & Design specializes in coordinating the office furniture requirements for Relocating and Expanding Businesses, anywhere in Southern California. We do Free Ergonomic Space Planning & Design as well as the Manufacturing & Installation of Furniture. Our ranges cover New Furniture, Refurbished Cubicles as well as Used Furniture.
Feel free to visit our Virtual Showroom at: www.caofficedesign.com
Link to our Ascend Height Adjustable Desk Series: www.caofficedesign.com/OfficeStar/ascend-sit-stand-desk.php